From Mapping on MediaWiki
Well, not completely fixed, but a good reason is needed to make any changes here.
- Split coordinate parsing and formatting into distinct classes and utilize the MapsLocation class.
- Remove compatibility with PHP < 5.3
- Implement new settings system.
Plans without a version
- Full KML and GIS support
- Static map support
- Better internal representations of geographical entities. Libraries for this probably already exist and might be useful.
- Spatial extensions (or similar) support for Semantic Maps. This is made difficult due to the SMW storage abstraction layer.
- Route functionality with a "display route" or "route" parser hook
- Usage of the Mapstraction library
- Client side marker grouping. Example. Article.
- Google Streetview support
- Google Sky support "The sky has different system of coordinates (Ra/Dec) but the logic is similar to lat/long. --DeepSkyPedia (talk, visit DeepSkyPedia.com) 09:37, July 9, 2010 (UTC)"